Wednesday, November 25, 2020

A Thankful Character

 Greetings!

Today I am interviewing my character Ian Pierce, the hero in the first two books of my Rhythm of the Moon series.  I've invited him to our American Thanksgiving dinner. I'm glad he likes children because there will be six of them.

By the way, please don't tell my husband. He doesn't know Ian's here. I have him tucked away in the basement. I'll break the news to him later, and I daresay he won't be surprised. Let's get started:

Me: Thanks for time-traveling to my neck of the woods, Ian. 

Ian: I'm never far away from you, my dear.

Me: True. You'll always be my first book hero love, but I know your heart lies elsewhere, as does mine. 

Ian: Yes, no one will ever match my Maggie, begging your pardon, Mistress.

Me:  You live in the 18th Century in the town of King's Harbour. Tell me how you met the love of her life.

Ian: Let's just say the circumstances were not ideal. We met at a graveyard. She was standing at her sister's grave and I was there mourning my brother, who had passed when I was traveling the world. I did not realize that I was singing. Music runs through my brain and pours out of me like a waterfall. 

Me: Then what happened? 

Ian: Her crying broke through my sorrowful melody, and I went to her. She blamed me for her tears, for opening her up to her grief. Despite her refusal, I walked the midwife home, and as we talked, I admired her strength and resolve to forge ahead and take care of her brother-in-law and her sister's infant child, despite her sorrow.

Me: Then something unexpected happened.

Ian: (Memory glazed his green eyes, making them shine like emeralds.) Yes. I returned to the graveside that night to discover that her sister Sarah's grave had been disturbed, and she was alive, barely.

Me: That must have been shocking and terrifying for everyone.

Ian:  Indeed, but my Maggie took action, and I found I wanted nothing else but to help her with her sister's recovery. She was not herself. And thus began our macabre and supernatural journey to bring her sister back to herself, and to solve the mystery of who could have done this to her. It didn't take long before I loved her, body, and soul.

Me: You returned to King's Harbour to take over the family's apothecary shop. You have training as an apothecary as well as a musician. Why did you travel the world?

Ian: (He looked down at his long, slender hands, and lifted his head again, in his eyes a sweetness that made my stomach flip over.) I have an affliction. It began when I was a young boy. I have periods of great energy, and I think I can conquer the world with my music. I cannot control it. Ideas and music pour out of my head. I cannot sleep, I cannot concentrate. They call it manico-melancholicus. Then come the down times, where I'm thrown into an abyss of sorrow. So I traveled, playing music to make my coin, and searching for remedies. 

Me:  You suffer from what we now call bipolar disorder. Were you successful with your search?

Ian: I learned some techniques along the way to calm myself...somewhat. Then I met Maggie. Her love does not take away my affliction, but to have her love soothes me so and fills me with purpose. 

Me: She sounds like a strong, loving person.

Ian: Yes. (A huge grin lit up his face.)

Me: I want to prepare you for something.

Ian: (His sandy eyebrows rose.) Sounds intriguing.

Me: Before we eat our meal on Thanksgiving, we go around the table and say what we're thankful for. What are you thankful for?

Ian: Oh, I'm beyond thankful for my Maggie. Not only is she strong, beautiful, and capable beyond measure, but she accepts me and loves me for who I am.  Her passion knows no bounds. Though I am full of regret that I am at times not a whole man, she says we will take care of each other, that I give her joy, make her laugh, and fill her soul.

Me: It sounds like you have a lot to be thankful for. I must warn you: our dinners are rowdy, with two toddlers, a four-year-old, seven-year-old, and two teenage girls. And loud adults.

Ian: (He had a contagious laugh, and I joined him.) Do not fret, my dear lady. I frequent the Siren Inn, the most raucous and popular inn in town. Your family surely can't match the rowdy sailors and merchantmen who frequent the place.

Me: (Still laughing.) Don't be too sure. Thank you for the conversation, Ian. I'll bring you up when the time comes. Thank you for your patience.

Ian: (Picks up his lute.) I shall compose a song for our feast. Until Thanksgiving, madam.



http://amzn.to/2bHVKUf 

The first book in my series is Mercy of the Moon. I hope you enjoyed the conversation with one of my favorite characters. 







5 comments:

  1. Great interview with the amazing Ian! I love all the books in the Rhythm of the Moon series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting Ian and the way you connected his 18th century illness to bipolar disorder. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian is such an amazing guy. He was honest and forthright in his interview and did a fantastic job. I wish him, you, all the Pen Dames, and everyone celebrating a glorious Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart ached for Ian when I first met him, but the more I learned about him I realized he was whole in his own way and did not need my sympathy, just my respect.

    ReplyDelete

Author Interview: D. Thomas Jerlo

  Please welcome to the Pen Dames blog author D. Thomas Jerlo, who also writes as Dawné Dominique ! We’re excited by this opportunity to ...