Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Am I Writing Fiction or Herding Cats?

 

 


I love writing fiction, but I grapple with one problem I never anticipated. I get no respect from my co-workers.

Maybe you think I sit alone in front of a computer all day, but in fact I deal with a group of headstrong employees, and none of them pay any attention to what I suggest.

The staff characters select their own names, involve themselves with all the wrong people, and leave it up to me to bail them out of the terrible situations which result.

Before I started my first book, I expected to wield god-like power over my creations. After all, I was the author, the person in charge, the Empress of my world. (If you hear snickering in the background, it’s the free spirits who refuse to do as they are told.)

My difficulties started with my debut novel, Water Dreams. When the protagonist announced her name was Nik, I thought her outspokenness seemed a little odd, but I agreed to go along with her: my first mistake. If you give them an inch, they’ll take a mile.

Since this was a romance, I introduced her to her intended love interest. A handsome, honest, powerful, protective mage, Rowan possessed every quality of the perfect mate for her. However, they refused to get together. He treated her like a little sister, and she considered him a nut case. I arranged for him to rescue her from danger, but she wasn’t grateful. She complained about the method he used to save her. I secluded them in a stilt-house out in the Gulf of Mexico, the ideal romantic setting. Rather than sweeping her off her feet, Rowan brought his mage friends over and flirted with one of the women. Then, Nik went and fell in love with the worst possible guy she could pick. The forbidden relationship put them in jeopardy. Of course, I came up with a way to help them. Did they thank me and cooperate after that? Ha! They ended up in more trouble.

Personnel issues also arose with The Sea Witch and the Mage. Athenia’s job was to seduce Thorne and strip him of his powers, but she found him so attractive, she almost didn’t follow through. 

In Siren Descending (the sequel to The Sea Witch and the Mage), Athenia enlisted the help of a demon to retrieve Thorne from the underworld. The rascal was supposed to be a minor walk-on, but he enjoyed his part so much, he nearly stole the show. I wrestled the story away from him, but he popped back up again at the end. Now, he claims he needs a book of his own, and my editor agrees.

The players don’t just give me a hard time when I’m writing either. Witch Trial Legacy, which will release in 2021, has a couple who fight a lot. One night they argued so loudly in my dreams, they woke me up. I had to tell them to shut up so I could sleep.

Now, I’m working on a new story. I decided the hero would be a wealthy American named Charles, but he informed me his name is Anton. He speaks with a slight European accent. Although born in the United States, he went to Europe for boarding school beginning at about age eight. Furthermore, his family came to this country back in the 1700’s, and he’s a descendant of Huguenots. I don’t want all this history, but the rebels will hold the story hostage until I give them their way.

Other writers tell me they experience this difficulty too. Fictional cast members simply show no appreciation for their creators. While they do what they want, the writer must work around them. They go off in unplanned directions against our will, and they fall in love with whoever they please. When we long-suffering authors finally clean up their messes and figure out how to give them a Happily Ever After with the last person they should have chosen, they merely go on with their lives, not sparing a single thought for all the grief they put us through.

Things are so far out of control, I’m seriously considering starting a Human Resources Department to institute some rules and regulations! It's about time they realize who's the boss around here. (Guffaws ring out from all directions.)

Thank you for joining me here today on The Pen Dames Blog. If you’re interested in learning more about my miscreants, please go to my website: http://katherineeddingersmits.weebly.com/

Newsletter subscribers receive a free, exclusive short story.

7 comments:

  1. FUN piece, Kathy! I love hearing about your mischievous employees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HaHaHa! Great blog, and perfect description of what happens when you unleash the brain. Characters DO have a mind of their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I'm glad to hear it's not just my characters.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Jennifer. FUN piece. You grabbed my attention with the title and completely hooked me with first paragraph; and what a wonderful analogy of comparing characters as employees. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Loretta. That's high praise coming from you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delightful and accurate post, Kathy! You're right--characters are SO ungrateful, and after all we go through! I loved reading this. You have captured it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

Author Interview: D. Thomas Jerlo

  Please welcome to the Pen Dames blog author D. Thomas Jerlo, who also writes as Dawné Dominique ! We’re excited by this opportunity to ...