Why it’s Important to have Friends
August 24, 2021, a group of friends and I met via email. We are all published authors and live in different areas making it difficult to meet in person. At one time, we all belonged to a now defunct writers’ group and were looking for a way to stay in touch, not only to discuss our works in progress, or to bounce story ideas off each other, but to be supportive when life gets in the way. After much discussion, we decided to form a private FB group; and because we are all writers we agreed to call ourselves “Pen Dames,” and to also create the Pen Dames Blog to share our knowledge of writing and other thoughts with the public.
Today, August 24, 2022, we celebrate our one year anniversary, not only as Pen Dames, but, more importantly, as long-time friends. I’ve pondered the question: Why is it important to have (good) friends? I hope you’ll indulge me while I share my thoughts with you:
1. Friends do a lot more than give you a shoulder to cry on; they also have a positive impact on your health. Friendship decreases feelings of loneliness and isolation.
2. Friends help us set and maintain goals whether those goals are finishing a novel, starting a new novel, or beginning a diet and exercise program, or simply suggesting books to read.
3. Friends give us emotional support when we’re going through tough times. It’s always nice to have a shoulder to lean on.
4. We all have self-doubts and insecurities every now and then. Supportive friends can help you feel more confident by offering praise and reassurance. They'll shine a light on just how amazing you are and how much you have to offer others.
5. Spending time with friends can help reduce stress without being judgmental. As the song goes, “we all need a friend to lean on.”
6. Friends help us grieve when we lose that special someone whether it’s a spouse, a family member, or a beloved pet.
I’m thankful for my Pen Dame friends. If you’ve visited our blog, then you’ve met us, but if this is your first visit, then I’d like to introduce you to these wonderful ladies:
Flossie Benton Rogers
Katherine (Kathy) Eddinger Smits
You can click on each of their names on the right side of this blog to read more about them and the genres they write.
As we move through life, we find that there are many things out of our control. We can’t choose our parents, our genetics, or control the things that happen in the world around us. One thing that we can control is who our friends are, and when we choose good friends this decision can make our lives so much richer and beautiful.
By the way, please join me in wishing Pen Dame, Linda Tillis, a very special Happy Birthday.
HAPPY 1st ANNIVERSARY
I look forward to many more years of friendship.
Loretta C. Rogers