Monday, June 3, 2024

Author Interview: Jean C. Joachim

 


Please welcome author Jean C. Joachim to the Pen Dames blog!


Jean C. Joachim is the author of numerous novels, including contemporary, historical, and sports romance. Today she is sharing her book, Too Late for Goodbye, with our readers. Too Late for Goodbye is part of the Pine Grove Series of contemporary romances.


Jean is giving away a free eBook to one lucky commenter!



Interview with Jean C. Joachim:

What books were your favorites as a child? 

“Little Women” was my favorite book. I must have read it a hundred times. That book inspired me to want to be a writer. When I got a little older, I fell in love with Nancy Drew and have been a mystery fan ever since. 

How and when did your writing journey begin?

I started writing fiction when my younger son went off to college in 2009. Up until then I had worked mostly in corporate America in advertising agencies. Once I started writing, it was love and I never looked back. I love what I do. 

What genre is your book? What do you like about writing in that genre? 

My book is a contemporary romance. I enjoy writing contemporary works since it’s easier to understand my characters and the world they live in. I don’t need to do as much research as I have to for my historical books. I can relate very strongly with contemporary characters.

Describe your main character—life, personality, motivation—whatever you think will make us want to get to know the person.

Marty McKay is in his early 30’s and unmarried. He and his brother, Flint, have lived in the house they grew up in in the small town of Pine Grove, NY all their lives. But Flint is married now, so Marty’s moving out. Marty is shy, he’s not confident with women. Though he’s a good-looking man, he doesn’t know it. Living in a small town, he’s not very experienced with women. But he’s a young man of character. He’s honest (except with his brother, sometimes.) He treats women with respect. Marty’s one of those guys you could count on in a crisis or emergency. He’s genuine, caring, and selfless.  Isn’t this right, Marty? (he just showed up). 

“Absolutely. And I have a few more adjectives you could use.”

“Don’t overdo it. Would you like to tell us about your fishing trip with the children.”

“Uh, no. Gee, I think I smell something on the stove burning. Gotta go.” 

Worst most hilarious fishing trip ever, but don’t tell him I told you so.  

That fishing trip sounds like a doozy. Marty is obviously someone we'd like to get to know. Jean, what writing projects do you have on the horizon?

I just passed the halfway point on the next book in the Pine Grove series, the one after Marty’s book. I’m also working on a football story and the third in my historical romance series. And I have another idea brewing in my head that needs some development. As long as the stories keep coming, I’ll keep writing them. 

What is your best advice for aspiring writers?

Get expert help. Hire a professional editor to critique your work. Don’t rely on beta readers. Use the guidance of an editor to improve your writing. Take a writing class. Read only well-written works, like classics, such as “Pride and Prejudice.” And keep writing, even if you think things aren’t going well. You’ll only keep getting better.

If you could meet any author, living or dead, who would it be and why?

Jane Austen. Because her books are totally perfect. Well-written, plotted with amazing characters that seem real. And her books have stood the test of time and are still wonderful to read today. An amazing achievement.

Thank you for sharing your book cover and a photo. It's always nice to see authors as they tell us about themselves and their books. Would you like to share a picture of your writing space? 

My writing space is a total messy disaster since I’ve been renovating.  So I’m too embarrassed to share a picture of it. But it has a big chair and a slender white desk.

What a relief! Jean, you're in good company, believe me!


Book Blurb - Too Late for Goodbye:

Marty McKay is frustrated by the lack of single women in his small town. Finally an amazingly beautiful woman shows up at the town square dance. Only problem is she's a widow from the City with two kids. An instant family wasn't on Marty's Christmas list. Still, he can't forget her. How long will it take before he realizes it's too late for goodbye?


Excerpt - Too Late for Goodbye:

March—Pine Grove, NY

“Whoa! Who died?”

“What?” Standing in front of the mirror, Marty McKay straightened his tie and glanced at his brother, Flint.

“I mean, you’re wearing a suit, shirt, and tie. Going to a funeral?”

“Very funny.” Marty combed his short, brown hair over and over until it was perfect.

“I thought so.” Flint chuckled. “Seriously, what’s up?”

“I’m going to New York’s all.” He picked up his wallet and shoved it in his back pocket.

“Why?”

“I’m meeting a couple of clients.” Marty sensed heat in his cheeks at his lie.

“Clients? In the Big Apple?”

“Yes.” He fastened a watch on his wrist and faced his brother. “Remember the ad I put in the paper there? We got a couple of phone calls. I’m going in to see what the projects are.”

“Oh yeah. I remember. Good idea.”

“It’s business, so get off my back.”

Flint narrowed his eyes and stared at his brother. “One of ՚em wouldn’t be a pretty girl by the name of Jenny, would it?”

Marty turned away so his brother wouldn’t see him blush. “Maybe.” He glanced at his watch. “I’m late. Give me a ride to the bus?”

“Sure.”

The two young men rode in silence. Marty stared out the window at the new spring green buds emerging on the trees.

“I mean, if you’re going to see her, it’s okay with me.” Flint turned right.

“I don’t need your approval.” Marty.  Deer hovered barely visible in the woods in the early morning frost.

“I know. Just sayin’.”

“I’m moving over to the Barrett house this weekend.”

Flint slowed for a stop sign. “You don’t have to leave.”

“I’m done being a third wheel. You’re married now, Flint. Everything is different.”

“You don’t have to move.”

“Yes, I do. Living with newlyweds is depressing.”

“Thanks a pantload.”

“You know what I mean.”

“You need to find someone, Marty.”

“Duh.”

“Okay, okay.” Flint pulled into the parking lot and stopped. “Call me when you come back and I’ll pick you up.”

“Thanks.”

“Good luck.”

Their eyes met. “Yeah.” Marty glanced up at the clock over the door of the bus station. He had only five minutes. He sprinted across the parking lot, purchased his ticket, and got on the bus with only seconds to spare.

 

Connect with Jean C. Joachim:

6 comments:

  1. Hello Jean! Welcome to Pen Dames. I thoroughly enjoyed your interview and your book's except. After reading it, I relooked at the cover. The model captured Marty's character perfectly. Congratulations on your new release.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the fun and informative interview, Jean! I can't wait to read about that fishing trip. A single guy, two kids whose mother he surely needs to impress, and pointy fishhooks. What could possibly go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, Jean. I want to meet Marty in real person. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jean. Nice to see you here on the Pen Dames blog. I enjoyed reading about Marty and the information you shared about your writing. I'm going to pick up Too Late for Goodbye so I can see for myself how his story works out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved reading about your latest book and what keeps you writing. Thanks for sharing your wonderful story on our blog. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Ex boyfriend who left me came back

    (He is now madly in love with me),

    (He vowed never to breakup with me again)..

    You can Make your Ex love you again..

    Thank you! Dr_mack(@ yahoo. com)

    ReplyDelete

Getting to know Fran McNabb: Author Interview

Today, I am excited to introduce not only a long-time friend but a prolific author. As an author, Fran has many accolades attached to her na...