Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Author Interview: D. Thomas Jerlo

 


Please welcome to the Pen Dames blog author D. Thomas Jerlo, who also writes as Dawné Dominique!

We’re excited by this opportunity to interview her and treat you to an excerpt from her novel, Dark Prisoner: The Kruthos Key. She’s one of our favorite writers as well as a talented artist who has created many beautiful covers for Pen Dames books. We know you will enjoy getting to know her.

 Dawné is also giving away a free eBook to one lucky commenter!

 Here’s the interview:

 Please tell us a little about YOU—where you live, your background, jobs, interests, etc.

I’m an author living in one of the coldest regions of Canada. I write under the pennames of D. Thomas Jerlo and Dawné Dominique. I also have twenty-five plus years’ experience as a professional book cover artist and run DusktilDawn Designs.  I’m also a twin, with my sister being 45 minutes older (it’s why my mom likes her best).  I am in the process of retiring from my paralegal position and look forward to writing full-time (again).

 How and when did your writing journey begin?

I wrote stories all my life in a little black notebook and probably began a dozen novels throughout my lifetime, which I never finished; however, in the early 1980’s I discovered Anne Rice and was instantly hooked on paranormal. Although I was primarily a fantasy reader, Ms. Rice gave me the push to follow my dream of becoming a published author. I joined a writing site and learned all I could about fiction. I have met some unbelievably talented people along my journey, and I have them all to thank for helping me become who I am in this business. 

     Which authors/books are on your keeper shelves?

To name just a few: J.R. Tolkein, Anne Rice, Robert Jordan, George R. R. Martin, Terry Brooks, Stephen King, Piers Anthony ... I could list more but there’s only so much room. 

What genre is your book? What do you like about writing in that genre?

Dark Prisoner: The Kruthos Key is an epic fantasy novel similar to Lord of the Rings, but with a female heroine. It was my first love genre to write. Since then, I have branched out into paranormal and speculative fiction. Writing in these genres allows me to use my imagination to its fullest.

What is the setting of your book? Please describe it.

Etharia is a fantasy world made up of majestic mountains, fertile plains, rich forests and many lakes...it’s beautiful.

Why did you choose this setting? Is it a real place or did you create it for the story?

I wanted to create a setting that was relatable to readers, so I chose a setting very similar to Canada.

Is your book part of a series or a standalone? If it is part of a series, briefly describe the series.

Dark Prisoner: The Kruthos Key and Dark Prisoner: Ebbing of Tides is a two-book series.  Ebbing of Tides requires proofing and edits before I can send same to my publisher for consideration. Both novels share Suna and Feran’s journey to save Etharia. In the process of doing so, they find that more than duty binds them together. There is a little romance, but the gist of the story is epic battles, the fight for power, good overcoming evil, and a few memorable characters that will stay with you long after the book is finished.

Writing this book was more than a labor of love. I took facets of what was happening in my real life and turned it into fiction. When I write, my world(s) must be believable, even in fantasy. I want my characters to intimately touch my readers and make them laugh or cry. Dark Prisoner has epic battles, scheming underlords, heroes that you want to cheer for and villains you'll despise.

 Describe your main character—life, personality, motivation—whatever you think will make us want to get to know the person.

Dark Prisoner: The Kruthos Key centralizes on Suna Di'Viao, a Divenean with mage'ical abilities, so she ages much more slowly than an average human. She's hidden from the world for over thirty years, wallowing in guilt and remorse for failing to protect her king and queen. During her isolation her entire race vanishes, leaving Suna the last of her kind. I like to think of this novel as a little like J.R. Tolkien meets Wonder Woman with serious guilt issues. I structured Suna after myself because what I wanted to do more than anything at the time I was writing this book was to hide from the world. I wanted to be strong and confident again, but I had lost myself, very much like Suna. For me, my characters are very real people; they have flaws, and I wanted her to be as relatable as possible.

Suna intuitively feels the land’s pain and senses change is coming and it is not good. Being on her own for so many years has left her bitter, and solitude is something she not only craves but feels she needs; however, she is instructed to meet up with someone who is to help her find the Kruthos key - a companion she does not want or need, but has no choice but to accept.

What writing projects do you have on the horizon?

I have a mystery/thriller in the works, but I need to finish a few previous projects first. The basics of the book are mapped out, but because this is a new genre for me, I’m doing my research. In other news, I have finally finished writing the fifth and final novel to my vampire series, which is currently undergoing extensive rewrites and edits.

What do you like to do when not writing?

I have a five-year-old grandson who I absolutely adore, and we try to spend as much time with him as possible. Having battled cancer all last year, I find time and health the most precious commodities in life, and I want to spend as much time as I can with my loved ones.

 

Here’s the blurb for Dark Prisoner: The Kruthos Key

Imprisoned for over a thousand years by the Diveneans of old, Lord Balthazar covets one thing: his freedom. Using his minion, Isafel, and an evil imp spawn called Ilio, they will search Etharia for the one thing that will set their master free and bring chaos to the lands—the Kruthos Key. With underlords scheming to take the throne and demons roaming freely throughout the land, it's a race against time. But one Divenean still lives, and with the help of an ex-General there may be hope left. But will it be enough?

 Here's the excerpt:

     Suna stopped and studied the faces around her before delivering the worse part. “I believe Balthazar has been busy since his banishment. He’s forming an army of his own. And Ilio? He’s but one of those creatures. I’m not familiar with the mage’ic used to devise his prison as it was created by the Diveneans of old. Unfortunately, those secrets are lost to me. How Balthazar has been able to do this is also unknown, but he’s managed to create one that escaped the Divenean wards of his oubliette. How many more can do so? If this imp finds the key and sets him free, our lands, our lives, our very world will be no more. Nothing we have ever seen, even in our darkest nightmares will compare to what he’s been preparing.”
     Lord Benne paled. “I thought those prisons holding both Isafel and Balthazar were indestructible. Are they not still enforced by the mage’ic of the Diveneans?”
     She paused a long moment before answering. “The Divenean race is gone. I’m the last of my kind. It’s for this reason I believe that the mage’ic in the walls that had held Isafel had deteriorated over time, allowing him to escape. A thousand years is a long time, but Balthazar’s prison is enforced with stronger, more ancient mage’ic—and the Kruthos. Thus, his need for the key.”
     Intuition made her turn and see Feran rise from his chair. Something in his expression troubled her. What is it?
     I don’t know. I thought I saw something at the window. It could be the sunlight and a breeze playing tricks.
     Through their silent connection, she sensed his Guardian instincts flare to life. Then all hell broke loose inside the Regent’s Gallery.

 Buy Dark Prisoner: The Kruthos Key from Amazon

 D Thomas Jerlo Website


Desk with computer, chair, coffee cup, and crumpled papers

D. Thomas Jerlo's Work Space


Enter to win a free eBook of Dark Prisoner: The Kruthos Key by commenting on the blog here or on the Pen Dames Book Nook Facebook Group Link to Facebook Group for Comments


Thank you so much, D./Dawné!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed your interview. Your books sounds fascinating. Wishing you a richness in health and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Loretta. I wish there were more hours in a day to do everything I want...like read! As soon as retirement comes and grandson is a little older, I'm sooooo looking forward to enjoying the best gift of all...reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been an integral part of my writing world for years now with your incomparable book covers. I am so pleased to have you featured here with one of your books. I picked up Dark Prisoner and look forward to getting into Suna's story. How sad and heartbreaking to be the last of her kind. Loved seeing your writing space! Thanks again for all you do and for being our special Pen Dames guest.

    ReplyDelete

Author Interview: D. Thomas Jerlo

  Please welcome to the Pen Dames blog author D. Thomas Jerlo, who also writes as Dawné Dominique ! We’re excited by this opportunity to ...