Tuesday, September 7, 2021

All About Audiobooks

 



                 

Can I get a show of hands? How many like to hold their books in their hand and hear the crisp turning of the pages? How many prefer ebooks, where you can change the font size to adjust to your aging eyes(guilty!)? How many of you like an audiobook, where you can escape into another life while commuting, housecleaning, or performing other mundane tasks? 

Today, I'm celebrating the audiobook. As an author, I had no idea what went into the making of an audiobook, until two of my books were made into the spoken word. It's a heady experience as an author. Simply put, a narrator can pick from a vast amount of novels. If they see one they are interested in, they do an "audition." The author gets these auditions, in my case from the Wild Rose Press' marketing department. I get to listen to them and pick from those auditions the one I think would suit the book well. Then, as the narrator finishes the chapters, I get to listen to them and check for errors. I was very fortunate to have the talented Rebecca McKernan narrate Mercy of the Moon. If you'd like to have a listen, click the link below:   

https://www.amazon.com/Mercy-Moon-Rhythm/dp/B079Z9D1X3/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=mercy+of+the+moon+audiobook+jennifer+taylor&qid=1631036213&sr=8-1

Rebecca did an amazing job telling the story of a midwife who carries the world on her shoulders, finds love, and fights superstition in an 18th Century harbor town. Her emotive, heartfelt reading and talent at creating voices for each character took the book to new heights. I never thought anything would be as exciting as holding my own book in my hands, but listening to my book spoken by a talented actor is equally as thrilling. 

I'm happy to report that on September 1, my second audiobook, Heartbeat of the Moon, was released. I never thought it possible that a man could narrate a midwife's story, but this is very much a man's story too. The talented Howard Green narrates this tale. It's about friendship between men, a twist on a very popular horror theme, and the torment my main character, Ian faces when confronted with his personal demons. And it's a story about love and loyalty. 

Mr. Green did a phenomenal job with my characters, creating different voices and accents, able to give the women a voice as well as the men. You may know that Ian is a musician and uses music to calm and entertain the people in King's Harbour. Howard Green sings Ian's songs. Sings them, I tell you! His voice lends well to the frightening aspects of this story as well as the humorous parts. All in all, he has elevated the story to a new dimension. I'm hoping he'll be narrating Echoes of the Moon. Take a listen, if you like:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=heartbeat+of+the+moon+audiobook+jennifer+taylro&ref=nb_sb_noss

Whether you like traditional books, ebooks, or audiobooks, sometimes it's fun to shake things up. Experience a story in a different format. You have a lot to choose from. 

Most of all, enjoy every moment of your day. 

      


                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
 










5 comments:

  1. I love the different voices that Mr. Green gave you! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an author with five audiobooks, I know very well the rush that author's get when listening to narrators take on the role of the book's characters. I love the accents of both Rebecca Kernan and Howard Green. I hope your books bring readers/listeners many hours of enjoyment. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate that, Loretta. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for this timely, informative post, Jennifer. The links wouldn't let me in-- not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'll try again later on another device. I'm so happy that you went through the process to tell us about it and are satisfied with the outcome. Your books deserve to get their beautiful language spoken aloud! I like to listen to audiobooks when on a ride in the car and also sometimes when falling asleep.

    ReplyDelete

Author Interview: D. Thomas Jerlo

  Please welcome to the Pen Dames blog author D. Thomas Jerlo, who also writes as Dawné Dominique ! We’re excited by this opportunity to ...