Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Connecting Branches in the Family Tree


 

Have you traced your ancestry? Discovering our lineage is popular in the U.S. Everyone wants to know where we came from and what our forbears were like. The process is easy. Register with one of the websites or send in a sample of DNA, and in a few weeks, you learn your history.

When I was young, these sites didn’t exist. (Neither did the internet, LOL.) If someone wanted to find out about their predecessors, a genealogy chart was constructed using county records, bibles, and newspaper archives. One of my great uncles developed an interest in researching our clan before I was born. He followed many generations back, compiled all his work into a thick book, made numerous copies, and sent them to all the branches of the family. My mother had one, so I grew up hearing stories about the famous (and infamous) people from our bloodline. When I was old enough, I was allowed to access the book. It’s dry, with fading mimeographed pages and small, arcane symbols, but if read with imagination, the past comes alive.

One of my ancestors was Susannah Martin, who was hanged in Salem in 1692. Another was Cotton Mather, the magistrate who presided over the Salem Witch Trials. When I realized that I am descended from both a woman executed for witchcraft and the judge who sentenced her, my fantasy took flight.

What if this happened to a book protagonist who was a descendant of both accused and accuser? What would she be like? What would make her unique, and what would cause her trouble? What would be the repercussions of the merging of the lines?

The idea became Witch Trial Legacy which releases October 11. The heroine, Sybilla Sanborn, is descended from both the condemned woman and the man who denounced her.

Sybilla has the gift of healing touch from half her heritage. From the other, she receives a curse. She sees visions of future tragedies, but when she tries to warn people, no one will believe her.

Then, she discovers Cassadaga, Florida, home to mediums, psychics, and spiritualists. A medium reveals the source of Sybilla’s problem was transmitted through the generations.

Sybilla must find a way to convince people to heed her warnings.

But when she learns what she will have to do, the cost may be too great.

Everyone has interesting roots. I would love to hear about your antecedents. Respond to this post with a few words about some cool characters from your family tree. Or some terrible ones you wish you weren’t related to.

I’ll pick one person who comments and gift you with a $10.00 Amazon card. C’mon. Brag a little! You know you want to! (Contest closes at midnight July 25, 2021.)

Thank you for joining us on the Pen Dames blog! We appreciate you!


                                                                                                                               

If you would like more info about me or my books, please visit my website at: http://katherineeddingersmits.weebly.com/ Subscribe to my newsletter, and I’ll send you a free short story exclusively for subscribers. Newsletters come out once or twice a month and always include contests, freebies, and fun. Unsubscribe any time by clicking at the bottom of all newsletters.

 

10 comments:

  1. Wow! What a wonderful history and I can't wait to read the book based on your ancestors. One of my favorite past times is researching my family's genealogy. My family didn't talk much about their past. Too many secrets, I guess. I do know that my paternal grandmother was a seer, and it was her mother, who at the age of 13, was kidnapped by a band of Indians. My granny often said that seeing things she didn't want to see was more of a curse than a gift. Another ancestor and his son were hanged for being seditionist during the civil war. Great post, Kathy. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Loretta! I loved your book based on your ancestor who was kidnapped. I think it's Bitter Autumn, right?

      Delete
    2. Yes, that's right, "Bitter Autumn." Thanks for reading it.

      Delete
  2. I wish I could trace an ancestor back a couple of hundred years. The only foreign country I have ever wanted to visit is Ireland. When I joined Ancestry.com I found that I am 50% Irish so that explains that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I've visited Ireland and Scotland. They are both mystical, magical places. You have to get off the beaten path to find the magic because both countries have become commericalized.

      Delete
    2. I love Ireland and Scotland too. I have a lot of Scot heritage and my grandmother told me once we are entitled to wear two kilts, but I don't remember anymore what they are. I don't have any Irish heritage. When my daughter did her study abroad semester in Dublin, many Irish people assumed she was Irish because of her eye, hair, and skin tones. They never quite believed her when she told them she wasn't Irish.

      Delete
  3. What fascinating family history! I SO look forward to your book and admire the inspiration behind it. Two stories came down in my family that I have been interested to track. One involved a man who rode at breakneck speed on horseback from Texas to Florida. The other involved a lady of wealth whose feet never touched the ground. Both have been exciting searches. I know who rode to Florida, but I'm not sure why he careered here (or back here, actually) in such a fashion. As for the lady, I know the surname but not exactly which person had that "honor." I love all aspects of genealogical research, and my most recent favorite is My True Ancestry, which takes it back to ancient times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fascinating! Thanks so much for your comment, Flossie!

      Delete
  4. The contest is now closed. Thanks to everyone who commented.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The winner of the gift card is Loretta Rogers.

    ReplyDelete

Author Interview: D. Thomas Jerlo

  Please welcome to the Pen Dames blog author D. Thomas Jerlo, who also writes as Dawné Dominique ! We’re excited by this opportunity to ...