Thursday, June 4, 2020

Perks of Being a Writer by Linda Tillis

Folks often ask me why I write. That seems like a straightforward question, but the answer is so winding.

It started as a sort of therapy. After twenty-seven years in two separate fields of law enforcement I need to "clear" my head.  I think less now about why I write, and more about the things I love about being a writer.

One of those enjoyable perks is meeting new people. I have done several radio interviews and loved every minute of them.

I did three in-person, live-on-air interviews with Robin MacBlane and Larry Whitler on WOCA Radio in Ocala, Florida.  I was very nervous for the first one and just knew that I would make a fool of myself. The two of them were such professionals that they were able to make me sound reasonably intelligent. Then, of course, the next two with them were smooth as silk.

Then, I was fortunate to have a writer friend, April Hollingworth, who is also studying Communications and worked at the college radio station, Juice, in Cork, Ireland. Now that was fun! I had to study a little so when I mentioned some locations in a book I'm working on, I didn’t mispronounce them and offend anyone.

Recently, I was interviewed by Russ Avison, on The Writers Block. This show is on LA Talk Radio, located in Los Angeles.  Russ was so easy to talk with and immediately put me at ease.

Each interview makes me a little more comfortable in my "writers’ skin".  I don't think of myself as an author until I am sitting in front of my computer. So, when I attend book signings, or do interviews, I am humbled and grateful that folks take the time to meet with me, listen to me, or buy my books.

I consider each event a gift that makes me feel very blessed, and I hope to continue writing, and making wonderful new friends for many years.

You can see my first interview here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl_dLqXJgb4

4 comments:

  1. Great interview, Linda. I also enjoyed reading your article about the perks of being a writer. Thanks for sharing the link with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting interview, Linda! I like what you said about books taking you in and giving you the ability to live more than one life. You're a natural.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and fabulous interview, Linda! I enjoyed your sparkling presence and hearing about your writing process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your post, Linda. Although writers spend a lot of time alone, it's surprising how many amazing people we meet because of what we do.

    ReplyDelete

Author Interview: D. Thomas Jerlo

  Please welcome to the Pen Dames blog author D. Thomas Jerlo, who also writes as DawnĂ© Dominique ! We’re excited by this opportunity to ...