Thursday, May 14, 2020

Bitter Autumn by Loretta C. Rogers

People often ask me how I create the characters in my novels. One reader stated that the characters pulled her into the story and she was sure that she heard their voices. WOW! It's those types of words that keep me; or any author writing the next novel.

To answer the question about how I create the characters in my novels--not to sound trite--but sometimes characters show up in my dreams. I'm also a people watcher and a great eavesdropper. I see and hear people who inspire either a major or minor story character. Often times, characters are inspired by relatives.

For example, in my newest Historical romance, BITTER AUTUMN, the main character, Birdie Mae Dix, was inspired by my great-great grandmother. As the family story goes, Sarah went out to feed the chickens. By supper time (and Sarah never missed supper), her father went to look for her. All he found was the empty tin pan used for the chicken feed and several sets of moccasin prints. This was in the panhandle of Florida and would have been during the time the Cherokee, Choctaw/Creeks, and Muskogee were on the run to avoid the Trail of Tears. Sarah was thirteen when she was kidnapped. She was sixteen when rescued, and had a child (a daughter). Sarah's life was not easy after she came back to live with her parents. She was shunned by white people, even by family members. According to her diary, she didn't know if she should commit suicide or go back to live with the Indians. It was actually her young daughter that kept her forging ahead until she married a circuit riding preacher and birthed twelve more children.

Thus, BITTER AUTUMN was borne relating the life of Birdie Mae Dix, as well as the lives of other women who were held captive by various Native American tribes. However, I set the story in Montana, 1877, during the time Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce surrendered to the US Calvary. BITTER AUTUMN is a fictional Historical romance based on factual events.

                                                                         BITTER AUTUMN
Wanted by two men…one to love her…one to kill her!
Flame-haired Birdie Mae Dix has no idea what tomorrow will bring. Kidnapped by the Pawnee and traded to the Comanche, she is now in the custody of the US Cavalry.  After eighteen years of loss and cruelty, she trusts no one; not even the handsome captain who’s piercing blue glare fills her with apprehension…and unwanted desire.
Pledging his life to a military career, years of war has hardened Captain Ford Thackery. He swore never to consider a life with a wife and children until he rescues an emerald-eyed, half-starved beauty. He knows he must earn Birdie’s trust as well as find a way into her heart.
Abducted by a renegade Pawnee cavalry scout, Birdie once again finds herself a captive. If he can’t possess her then no one will.
Available as an Ebook for your favorite reading device or as a Paper book at Amazon and B&N.
I enjoy hearing from my readers. If you enjoyed Bitter Autumn, I would appreciate if you would take a few moments out of your day to post an honest review. Thank you!

8 comments:

  1. I can't wait to get this book! The cover is beautiful-- love the green and the reflection, and it's so meaningful to be able to incorporate Sarah's history into Birdie's story. Dreams are important writing prompts. Thank you for sharing these insights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Flossie. Diana Carlisle, the graphic artist really captured the essence of Birdie Mae's story.

      Delete
  2. The emotion in the cover I'm sure represents your emotive, outstanding writing, Loretta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy Diana took my suggestions for the cover and ran with them. TWRP has some great graphic artists, that's for sure.

      Delete
  3. What an amazing story! Your great, great, grandmother must have been an incredibly strong person. I can't wait to read the book. I also agree that the cover is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had known her, but her daughter, my great grandmother lived to be ninety-nine. She also gave birth to twelve children (two sets of twins). She was tough as nails, but kind and nurturing at the same time and a wonderful cook. She had a great influence on all of her great grandchildren.

      Delete
  4. I just LOVE the name, Birdie Mae! It is so indicative of the time she lived. Her story may have been the plight of many woman, but I bet you Birdie Mae met life on her own terms. Sounds like a brutal, but beautiful tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My great grandmother would tell us that she was afraid to go outside for fear of being kidnapped like her mother. I would have loved the opportunity to talk to my g'g'grandmother.

      Delete

Author Interview: D. Thomas Jerlo

  Please welcome to the Pen Dames blog author D. Thomas Jerlo, who also writes as DawnĂ© Dominique ! We’re excited by this opportunity to ...