Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Barbara Cairns Author Interview - Part II

 





Yesterday we met a new Pen Dame, multi-talented author Barbara Cairns, and learned about her background and motivation for her books. Now we continue with Part II of the interview.


What is the setting of the book you're working on? Please describe it.

My current middle grade novel, Jacob Joins the Cow Cavalry, is set in Florida during the Civil War and tells the story of a little-known unit called the Cow Cavalry, which lasted only a year but was instrumental in getting much-needed beef to the Confederate soldiers.


Why did you choose this setting? Is it a real place or did you create it for the story?

It’s set in Homosassa, FL, which in the 1860s was a part of Hernando County where the Cattle Battalion was originated. 


Is your book part of a series or a standalone?

This will be a standalone book.


Which of your main characters is your favorite and why?

Jacob Donner, a 15-year-old farm boy is determined to leave home and to help the Confederacy. (I never thought about it before but perhaps it’s because I was once determined to leave home and to help others far away.) LOL


If you could spend an afternoon with any of your secondary characters, who would it be and why?

It might be interesting to spend an afternoon with Mrs. Matherson to learn about the multitude of feelings she must have had when she learned about her husband switching sides to the Union Army.


What writing projects do you have on the horizon?

I’m concentrating on Jacob Joins the Cow Cavalry now, and hope to get the book published in time for Christmas book signing events. 



What is your best advice for aspiring writers?

Read as many tips from other published authors as you can and then act upon them in your own writing. 


What is your favorite book marketing tip?

Unfortunately, I’m not good at marketing my books online, but I do enjoy talking to readers and selling my books at book signing events. 




What do you like to do when not writing?

I’m a very active person and maintain a busy schedule with volunteering (over 20 years)  at the wildlife park, where I provide enrichment for wildlife and also act as docent in the Discovery Center; volunteering for United Way as a tutor for preschoolers (past three years); reading a variety of books for my book club; spending time with two different sets of friends for monthly birthday celebrations; attending monthly meetings for Citrus Writers; belonging to a talented group of bloggers called the Pen Dames; enjoying my birds and squirrels at all my bird feeders, playing Up Words and Kings' Corners card game with a dear friend, and traveling to far-away places. (Alaska in August, and Bermuda/Bahamas in September last year, with plans this year, for British Virgin Islands, St. Kitts & Nevis and San Juan, Puerto Rico in July, and the Canadian Rockies Railroad Trip in September. 






As well as on the Pen Dames blog, find Barbara at the following locations:

Website

Amazon

Facebook


Barbara, it has been so interesting to learn about you, your books, and your many activities. I know readers will enjoy interacting with you online and at your events and book signings.  Thank you for spending time with us!

Readers, do you have questions for Barbara? (no politics, religion, or impropriety please)

7 comments:

  1. Fabulous interview. Barbara is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating interview! Barbara, I would like to know what kind of cow you are with in the last picture and where was the picture taken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one of five cracker cows I fed bananas to while attending a luncheon and presentation about Cracker Life in Florida at a Cracker home in Crystal River several years ago.
      (A funny thing happened when that particular cow followed me and ended up butting me in the arm, wanting more bananas. I had the bruise on my left upper arm for days.) Despite that encounter, I still love all cows.

      Delete
  3. Barbara, your life adventures are so interesting. Will you be writing an autobiography?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several people have asked me that over the years. It might be fun to "relive" lots of wonderful adventures.

      Delete
  4. Barbara, your adventures are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so inspired by the fact that your books are so multi-genred. And I totally agree---you should write an autobiography.

    ReplyDelete

Author Interview: D. Thomas Jerlo

  Please welcome to the Pen Dames blog author D. Thomas Jerlo, who also writes as Dawné Dominique ! We’re excited by this opportunity to ...