Wednesday, September 29, 2021

How a Simple Tweak Snowballed Into a Series Cover Revamp

Recently, and rather on the spur of the moment, I waved my magic wand and had the covers for my Wytchfae Series redesigned. You can see the sparkling new ones above, from blue to purple. The project started as a simple desire to get Demoness Dreams, book #6, into paperback. It’s the only book of the series not available in that format, either singly or in anthology.

In giving a critical eye to the old cover, I knew the picture to be one of my favorites. The young woman is the spitting image of how I see the heroine, Neva. However, I had become disenchanted with the font. Although very clear and readable, it had lately appeared to me too much like the one used on westerns. I needed an updated font depicting an adventurous fantasy romance.

I began researching fonts to see which ones sang out to me. I also communicated with the original cover designer to determine the cost of her creating a pdf front-and-back cover design, with a new font, that I could pop into KDP to produce a paperback. We were almost set to proceed when my brain began buzzing. If the paperback needed new font, so did the eBook version. Plus, if Demoness Dreams needed new font, didn’t the rest of the series? If the rest of the series needed new font, why not create a totally refreshed “series look”? I had frequently salivated over series whose books all had similar layouts but different colors. I instinctively knew what color I wanted for each title in my series. Why not go for it?

Nine years ago when I wrote the first book of the series and it was accepted for publication, I had no idea the publisher would ask for more. Hilariously, I remember the day when she called and asked how many books I thought would be in the series. I tossed her my favorite number, seven, and hurriedly came up with seven titles/story concepts to fit the Wytchfae universe.

As I wrote the stories one by one, each cover was designed by the publishing company’s talented cover artist, Dawne’ Dominique. I gave no thought at the time to a matched set or a “series look.” A few years later when the company sadly went out of business, the company owner transferred the book titles to me and I bought the covers from the artist. She removed the company logo from the books, and I was good to go with indie publishing them.

There are good reasons for revamping your book covers. Wisdom keepers say it should be done every five to ten years. It is a well-used marketing strategy and one easily seen by looking up titles. Maybe your taste has changed or you want to try your hand at DIY. Maybe you want your genre better represented. Maybe you’d like a “series look.” Or maybe, like me, you just want to tweak the font.

What do you think of my new Wytchfae covers by the brilliant Dawne’ Dominique of DuskTilDawnDesigns? 

5 comments:

  1. I thought the first set of covers were magical, but the new covers are alluring and speak to each heroine's journey. Dawn is a talented graphic artist. It's wonderful that she brought life to your creative imaginating for each book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the first ones, too. It was just time for a refresh. Dawne' did such a beautiful job on these new ones. She picked out images befitting the heroines and was able to use the same girl for #6, who is Neva to a T. I love the matched look with different colors.

      Delete
  2. These are amazing! Great job both of you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these covers. They just pop! I had to giggle when I heard about the number 7. Clever to come up with so many books at the same time. Dawn and you are a team to be reckoned with.

    ReplyDelete

Author Interview: D. Thomas Jerlo

  Please welcome to the Pen Dames blog author D. Thomas Jerlo, who also writes as DawnĂ© Dominique ! We’re excited by this opportunity to ...