Monday, April 19, 2021

A Love Letter to Libraries #Library #Librarylove


 

Last night as I pondered what to write for my April blog, I came up with a blank, but my brain worked on it while I was sleeping. I woke this morning thinking of the perfect concept--discussing a pop-up picture book titled, What’s Happening at the Library

The image in my mind was so realistic, I was certain this already existed. So, I searched fifty pages of Amazon offerings containing almost everything (even a pop-up Kama Sutra!) except one about a library. Maybe paper engineers don’t consider libraries interesting enough, but I do, and I bet all the other bookworms will agree. Maybe I should create it.

This wouldn’t be just for children, but something for everyone to enjoy. With its intricately cut, detailed, three-dimensional illustrations on glossy paper, it would feature all the amazing services our libraries provide. Here’s how I envision it:

The first two pages portray rows of wooden shelves packed with intriguing hardcovers and paperbacks alongside overstuffed leather armchairs perfect for comfortable perusing. A twelve-inch, bronze, metallic, raised-relief floor globe in a cherry wood frame stands in a bay window surrounded by bright red, cushioned benches for children to sit and explore the world. Large windows leading to a high ceiling allow sunlight to suffuse the room. A smiling librarian at a circular check-out desk completes the scene.

In the next tableau, computer monitors and keyboards, each with an attached mouse, rest on high-sided metal desks with task chairs. Printers, crisp white paper, and reference materials await the eager hands of youngsters and adults.

Following are meeting rooms where groups learn new skills or discuss issues. In others, a volunteer reads to children or teaches crafts.

Authors exhibit stacks of their new releases, reading excerpts and signing copies for patrons.

Displays of local artist’s works; performances by community dancers and entertainers; mentors helping students with literacy, math, languages, and other courses are all shown.

My book would be immense! I probably won’t ever craft it, but that’s all right. We don’t need this to tell us what’s going on in these magical sanctuaries. We can walk in the door and see for ourselves.

April 4 - 10 was National Library Week. I would like to take this opportunity to express my deep love for our libraries. From the small building in my hometown where I checked out stories as a child, to the large, modern structure in the county where I live now, these institutions have been, and will always be, enthralling places for me.

Over many years, I watched them evolve into true community centers that are welcoming havens for all people. Libraries opened up the universe for me, taking me to locations I never thought I would visit, and domains where I could only go in my imagination. They ignited my creativity, and I will always be grateful.

Would you tell me your favorite story of how a library has helped you? Reply below. I’ll collect all the responses and send them with this blog to my local library. I will also include them in posts on social media (anonymously if you wish). Feel free to share! Let’s show our library staff how much we appreciate them!

Thank you for spending time with the Pen Dames. Please check back every month for new blogs, contests, excerpts, and more!  

 

                                                                  




   

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderfully exciting article. I would probably live in the library you created. There wasn't a library where I grew-up. Instead, the rolling library visited my school once a month. Getting to check-out the books was such an adventure for me, and offered many hours of escape from an unpleasant home environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Loretta! I think all of us readers can relate to finding sanctuary wherever there are books.

      Delete
  2. It's always rewarding to hear about the love of libraries, especially since libraries were the primary source of my career for over two decades. Moreover, beginning with childhood, libraries provided many hours of imaginative travel. Such trips included the frozen hinterlands of The Snow Queen, the subterranean realm of The Twelve Dancing Princesses, and the forest hut of Snow White and Rose Red. Libraries rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved fairy tales as soon as I heard them read to me, and they were the books I first checked out as a child. Later, I graduated to myths and legends and eventually to fantasy and romance. Now, that's what I write, and I still love all the old stories! Thanks so much for sharing some of the ones you loved as a child, and thank you for spending your career helping others enjoy books as much as we do!

      Delete
  3. I went to rural schools when I was young and our library was the bookmobile. I couldn't wait for my turn to enter the library on wheels, and I always had to be reminded that my time was up and to make my choices! I always checked out the maximum number allowed (five) and would read them over and over. Books like Bambi, Black Beauty, Tom Sawyer and The Wizard of Oz. I always participated in the summer reading club at my county library and would carefully fill out the forms so that I would be sure to get my star. My daughter now works as a Page at our local library, and I actually envy her the job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great memory! Thanks so much for sharing. What does a Page do? Does your daughter get paid for it? Now I'm envious too, LOL.

      Delete
    2. I don't know about other counties or states, but here in Michigan a Page is an employee of the public library and is paid. Pages shelve books, pack up books to send out to other libraries, put books in quarantine and take them out to shelve, open shipments from the daily deliveries, and generally help the Librarian and Library Assistants. She loves her job! Thank you for asking!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for that visionary library pop-up idea. And your picture is amazing. I grew up in the mountains in Idaho, and every month the Bookmobile would come. I lived for it! I remember one time when I was about 6, I had gotten gum in my hair and my mom wouldn't let me come aboard. I cried and cried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that must have been a huge disappointment. I lived for my weekly library visit, and I would have been heartbroken to miss it. Thanks for sharing that memory. Even though it was a sad one, it shows how much the bookmobile meant to you.

      Delete

Author Interview: D. Thomas Jerlo

  Please welcome to the Pen Dames blog author D. Thomas Jerlo, who also writes as Dawné Dominique ! We’re excited by this opportunity to ...