Friday, August 21, 2020

Waxing Lachrymose:Why I Write Historicals

                                     20160224_083016


Poor Bridget. The world is a sad, sad place. If you look very closely, you can see one tear at the corner of her eye.  Every fiber of her being is Waxing Lachrymose. This is a term I first heard years and years ago when I read Wuthering Heights for the first time. And these odd phrases are part of the reason I write Historical Romance set in the 18th Century. I'm so lucky that this phrase originated around 1727 so I can use it.

Bridget is milking her sorrow for all it’s worth because I can't play. Someone who is Waxing Lachrymose is given to shedding tears. Even just saying it to myself with great emotion is so satisfying. 

I'm imagining different scenarios for you to use this great phrase:

You Wax Lachrymose after the boss dumps a pile of work on you.

After a disastrous football game, your son tells his teammates: “Don’t Wax Lachrymose, fellas, we’ll do better next week.”

When your air conditioner technician shows up late and it's 95 degrees outside: “Dang it! I’m going to Wax Lachrymose all over you.”

You get the idea. Imagine how much more intelligent we’d sound if we used this phrase. Instead of road rage, how about if we just roll down the window and yell, “Waxing Lachrymose at you, Sir!”

Here's another great word: Gimlet Eye. Bridget is a pro at this one.   If you give someone the Gimlet Eye, you're watching them intently, intensely, and may I add accusingly to that? In my Rhythm of the Moon series, Maggie gives Ian the gimlet eye, because he often perplexes her. But that's part of his charm. 

When your teenager stares at you as you fumble your way through a talk about sex, she is giving you the Gimlet Eye.  When she tells you she already knows all about that, you would likely give her the Gimlet Eye.

You know what else is cool? The first recorded use of this phrase is...wait for it...once again the 18th Century, but the word gimlet to describe a sharp tool originated in the 13th Century. 

I challenge you to use these phrases today in your daily life. Leave me a comment and let me know how it went. Spread the word. How would you use this word? Leave a comment. And feel free to share your favorite phrase-any century is welcome.

6 comments:

  1. Great post! You've got me wondering how many of the people I talk to would understand if I told them I was waxing lachrymose or giving them the gimlet eye. Most of them think I'm crazy, already. Not sure I want to give them more evidence. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I like to perplex the grandkids with these "weird" words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fun article. I can't wait to wax lachrymose or give the gimlet eye to someone. I like to use some of the old cowboy phrases in my western romances such as "beating the devil around the stump" which I do a lot of when I should be writing. If you haven't guessed it means "to procrastinate." Another cowboy term is "hobble my latchpan: which means "If I don't change for the better I'll get in trouble." WooHoo, Jennifer. You nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loretta, those are cool phrases! I've never heard either of them.

      Delete
  4. What a witty post, Jen! I love seeing the use of old, colorful words. My only acquaintance with gimlet eye, or part of the phrase anyway, is from your books and the classic gin cocktail (either named after Rear-Admiral Gimlette or the hand tool you mention above). Kudos to Bridget for having both of these down pat.

    ReplyDelete

Author Interview: D. Thomas Jerlo

  Please welcome to the Pen Dames blog author D. Thomas Jerlo, who also writes as Dawné Dominique ! We’re excited by this opportunity to ...