Monday, August 31, 2020

My Favorite Hero

 


Who is your favorite hero? Some of mine are Edward Rochester, Rhett Butler, and Jamie Frasier. They are all so strong, capable, and exciting. When I dive into Jane Eyre, Gone with the Wind, or Outlander, I lose all sense of place and time and live in those novels. These guys are bad boys with a heart.

The male leads in those stories are larger than life. They fight for what they care about and never give up, even if they are faced with a superior force.

We love our fictional heartthrobs, but do we have to settle in real life? No.

My special hero served as a medic and saved others in a war, dedicated his career to helping homeless veterans, and married me on September 8, 1979.

He’s the most romantic man I’ve ever met. Not because he tells me he loves me, buys me a dragon’s hoard worth of jewelry, or takes me on fabulous trips. He does all those things. Yet, what makes me feel loved the most are his everyday actions.

For example, yesterday, I needed to print out my most recent book for a beta reader, but our printer ran out of ink after a few pages. We ordered more, but it didn’t arrive on time. I figured my test reader would wait a few days.

Not good enough for my leading man. He went to the attic, got out an old, nonworking printer, watched You Tube videos to learn how to fix it, worked on it for hours until he’d cleaned all the heads, and presented it to me. Together, we printed out the manuscript.

My husband does things like this for me every, single day. How could I not believe in romantic heroes or Happily Ever After? He treats me like a princess. Happy anniversary, Paul, a few days early.

Please comment and tell me about your number one hero, especially the real-life ones. This is your chance to show him how much he means to you, so go for it!

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes we get so busy with life that we tend to forget the real heroes in our lives. My special guy proposed to me when I was 3 yrs old and he was 11 yrs old. We've known each other our entire lives and we've been married 57 yrs. This morning he rose early. I heard him clanging away in the kitchen. When I finally decided to get up and greet the day, he'd made me pancakes. What's so special about this--he's never in his entire life made a pancake. What's what so extra special about this is even as his mind continues to deteriorate, he thinks of me. I am blessed to have him as my hero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hero hubby retired some years before I did. I asked him wouldn’t he miss work and his response surprised me. After 45+ years in banking, he admitted that he had come to hate it! But over those years he put me through undergraduate AND grad school, paid for two daughters college and weddings, made sure we had wonderful homes and cars and cruises, and helped provide additional support for my parents. I am sad to say it took me until he retired to understand that he has lived his life completely in service to me and our daughters! I am sooo thankful for the 51 years we have had together! PS, totally agree about your literary heroes and I would add Jack Reacher to the list, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jean. Your husband sounds like a true hero!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful post! You two make an amazing couple. I miss my favorite hero every day-- the way he always encouraged whatever I wanted to pursue, most especially writing because he knew it had always been my dream, the unexpected bouquets of wildflowers and flowers he had grown, the special oddball gifts such as a life-size cardboard talking Xena that rode in the car with him from New Orleans to Florida, all the moments going into 42 1/2 years of marriage. Those of us with real life heroes are so lucky. The fictional ones you chose are top notch as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Flossie. I'm so sorry for your loss and know you miss him every day. He must have been a wonderful guy.

    ReplyDelete

Author Interview: D. Thomas Jerlo

  Please welcome to the Pen Dames blog author D. Thomas Jerlo, who also writes as Dawné Dominique ! We’re excited by this opportunity to ...