Monday, July 27, 2020

Character Quiz


In the mood for a little quiz? 

Pick your favorite characters from each pair:


1.      Claire or Brianna (Outlander)
2.      Hermione or Ginny (Harry Potter)
3.      Gale or Peeta (Hunger Games)
4.      Edward or Jacob (Twilight)

These are trick questions. I like all eight, and there are no right or wrong answers. They are all beloved characters from mega best-sellers. Claire and Brianna are mother and daughter. Both are fierce and make hard choices to live on their own terms. Hermione and Ginny are powerful witches. Without them, Harry would not have survived many of his challenges. Gale and Peeta both care for Katniss but in different ways. Edward and Jacob—well, who can choose between sparkles and fur?

As readers, I believe we identify with protagonists who embody the qualities we aspire to for ourselves, or who represent our highest and best selves. When they triumph, so do we. When they transform through their struggles, we believe we can do the same.

For me as an author, the best part of writing is creating characters, especially the ones I never planned or expected, who show up on the page seemingly from nowhere. They march in completely formed without conscious effort on my part. Meeting them is magical.

I had a great time with several of these when writing Siren Descending. The story is a contemporary retelling of Orpheus from Greek mythology. Athenia, a sea witch, must travel to Hades to rescue her lover, using only her song and her wits to try to succeed where Orpheus failed. Along the way, she encounters demons (bad and good), shades, goddesses, satyrs, and a harpy.

Today we refer to a foul-tempered woman as a harpy. The term comes from Greek mythology. Harpies were a combination of bird and woman. Sometimes they were beautiful, sometimes disgusting monsters.

The harpy in this story is a woman with wings. She has claws and talons instead of fingernails and toenails. Her voice is a screech that grates the nerves. The worst thing about her is she stinks. She does not just smell bad. She reeks. The miasma precedes her before anyone sees or hears her coming.  It is so horrible, the other creatures in hell will not sit near her.

However, she plays a crucial role in Athenia’s development as a person who learns power is not the answer. As Athenia develops compassion for a creature despised even by the denizens of the underworld, she evolves into the person she needs to be to save her soulmate and her own soul.

Here is an excerpt from Siren Descending which includes the harpy:

When Gelion appeared, Athenia didn’t stand or try to defy him. Utterly defeated, she sat staring dully at the ground with bowed head. “Go ahead and take my soul. This is the fate I deserve.”
Gelion took her hands and eased her to her feet. “Don’t look so dejected, my dear. Hell won’t be as bad as you think.”
Forcing words through her aching throat, she asked, “Will you let Thorne go? That will make this whole debacle bearable for me. I would…” Sagging, she wrapped her arms around her middle. After a second, though, she stood tall. “I would cooperate. Otherwise, I’ll resist every single thing you ask me to do with every fiber of my being.”
“Hmm…it would be much easier for me if you’d go along willingly with what I ask. Also, I like you better proud and feisty, but you’re too intelligent. Without Thorne to keep you here, I’m afraid you’ll figure out a way to escape.”
Though weary, she forced her expression into a fierce frown. “I promise I won’t try to leave if you let him go. If you don’t, I’ll spend every second plotting a breakout.”
Gelion pursed his lips. “I’ll think about your request. In the meantime, sing me the same siren song you gifted me before. I loved that sound. So did all the denizens of my kingdom. Such a peaceful day. No revolts or assaults. Almost Heaven.” He smirked.
Smart ass. “All right.” Imbuing her melody with every ounce of enchantment she possessed, she sang. A moving enough aria might convince him to let Thorne go.
With arms folded, Gelion leaned against a rock. As before, many of Hell’s creatures ventured out as she sang.
On his short bulldog legs Cerberus padded from a cave.
Her pulse flaring, Athenia eyed him until he whined and lay down.
Demons, which looked almost human until she noticed their clawed feet, slunk from behind rocks and sat in front of her, forming a bizarre but attentive audience.
Shades gathered at the back of the crowd, the spirits of the dead so transparent they were little more than outlines. She craned her neck, trying to find Thorne, but didn’t see him.
From above, Satyrs on their nimble cloven hooves picked their way down toward her. Short horns poked from thick, shoulder-length hair. Their upper bodies, male and of human form, were muscled and taut. If not for their goat-like lower halves, they might be romance novel cover models.
Preceded by a foul odor, the harpy flew to the clearing and landed. Every being there moved as far away as possible. Some gagged.
The hybrid didn’t appear to notice.
I’ll bet it does care though. And I should think of the creature as “she” not “it”. Obviously, she’s female. Clearly, she feels emotions, too. Athenia’s heart melted a little. The poor thing can’t help the way she is. I know what being an outcast is like.
She infused a little extra tolerance and love into her voice. Some smiled and made room for the bird woman among them. At least, I helped her a little. With a feedback loop, she tried to make the goodwill permanent. I can’t predict how long the effect will last, but a little time is better than nothing.
Buy Siren Descending here:
https://amzn.to/2v3rIFs


Siren Descending is Book 2 in the Sirens Series. It can be read as a standalone, but some readers prefer reading the books in order. If you would like a free digital copy of The Sea Witch and the Mage, Sirens Series Book 1, email me, and mention this blog. I will send you a secure code from book funnel! My email address is: katherinesmits@gmail.com








                                                               



                                                                                             







8 comments:

  1. Awesome blog. I did not know that a "harpy" was part bird. I love learning something new from Pen Dames blogs. Thanks for sharing your wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome blog. I did not know that a "harpy" was part bird. I love learning something new from Pen Dames blogs. Thanks for sharing your wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the paragraph about characters showing up unexpected. This is so true,and like you, I'm delighted when unexpected characters insert themselves into my stories. Your book covers are so appealing. Great post, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful writing, Kathy. It's been ages since I studied mythology, and I enjoyed learning about it. Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this scene. It's one of my favorites of yours. Her adaptive quality is evident here. The way some of the creatures look human--except for...--is appealing and brings them closer to us. Beautifully written! Oh-- as for the quiz: Hmmmm, today I'll go with Claire, Hermione, Gale, and Jacob. Which four do you pick?

    ReplyDelete

Author Interview: D. Thomas Jerlo

  Please welcome to the Pen Dames blog author D. Thomas Jerlo, who also writes as Dawné Dominique ! We’re excited by this opportunity to ...