Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Hot Love Scenes and Occupational Hazards


Would I be bragging when I say my love scenes are so hot I set my desk on fire?

Truth.

 In Heartbeat of the Moon, the second book in my Rhythm of the Moon series, I spent a considerable amount of time writing passionate scenes. I don't mind that. In fact, it's one of my favorite things about writing this series, mainly because of the relationship between my two characters, Maggie and Ian. They are quite opposite from one another, but once he breaks her resistance, their passion for each other is dynamite.

Dynamite...which brings me to that afternoon in my office. I had a candle going and low volume instrumental music in the background. It was violinist, Doug Cameron's, "Passion Suite."

Every writer has their method of working. Mine is very tactile. I use butcher paper to track the plot, chapter by chapter. This was a pivotal scene, and I'd been analyzing the plot every so often.

I was experiencing one of those wonderful intense times when I'm so immersed in the scene and my characters that the world fades away to two lovers, expressing with their bodies what they can't express in words...

The smell of smoke pulled my brain out of my book. The butcher paper had caught on fire. I scuffled to put the fire out and knocked a mug of coffee off the table.

Hubby called, "What's going on up there?"

"Nothing. Nothing."

Luckily, nothing was damaged, except for the plot on the butcher paper and my pride.

Don't ever let anyone tell you that being an author isn't a dangerous occupation. Maybe I need to take a course on how to write love scenes safely.

Safe sex?






7 comments:

  1. Jennifer, no wonder you're such a great author. You have a wonderful and fun way with words. I was captured by the first sentence of this article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous post, Jen. At least you should have no doubt how hot your scenes are! This is such a wonderful book, and I always love the cover with its touches of green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious! That is since you didn't actually burn anything down. Thank goodness it turned out all right. Do you still light candles for atmosphere while writing? I haven't trusted myself with them for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katherine. I do, but it's at the opposite end of the table!

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Flossie. I love that cover too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the world of www, there are countless blogs. But believe me, this blog has all the perfection that makes it unique in all. I will be back again and again votive candle

    ReplyDelete

Author Interview: D. Thomas Jerlo

  Please welcome to the Pen Dames blog author D. Thomas Jerlo, who also writes as Dawné Dominique ! We’re excited by this opportunity to ...