Monday, June 22, 2020

When is a Fish Not a Fish


When a Fish is Not a Fish

by
Loretta C. Rogers

(The Fishy Origins of The Red Herring)

I grew up in a family that loved to fish. We didn’t use rod and reels. Nope! It was cane poles with a line, a hook and a bobber. Red wrigglers or crickets were the bait of choice. I have to admit that I didn’t like getting worm poop on my fingers so I mostly used crickets. We dipped our corks for all types of fresh water fish: stump knockers, brim, warmouth perch, blue gill, and catfish, to name a few. Fishing was usually a family affair. My grandparents, various aunts and uncles, and a passel of cousins gathered along the banks of a creek, a lake, or a river. We were poor and couldn’t afford a boat. As we lined the banks there was no laughing or talking or complaining. No sirree, fishing was a serious business. After a day’s catch, we’d load up the 
cars and head home.

The best part of family fishing wasn’t who caught the biggest fish or who caught the most—nope! It was the eatin’. To enjoy the feast everyone pitched in. Granny would always say, “If you want to eat, you gotta earn your keep.” We young’uns would scale the fish, the men would clean out the innards, and the women would fry ‘em up along with a large pot of grits and piles hushpuppies. Yum! Afterwards, the uncles would break out the guitars and serenade us.

These are some good childhood memories, but what does this have to do with when a fish is not a fish? Well, you know me I’m not going to keep you in suspense.
Back to my childhood (one more time). Herring is smoked fish in a can. Granny always said herring, especially red herring, was for rich folks.  Now let’s fast forward to present day and my primary topic.


As an author of mostly Historical romance, I decided to challenge myself and write a cozy mystery series; and let me tell you, it has been a challenge. This is when I learned that a red herring isn’t a fish. Rather, a red herring is a story clue that is intended to be misleading or distracting and leads the sleuth away from the villain.

Being the inquisitive person that I am, I wondered how a story clue came to be named after a fish. I found a couple of interesting explanations: 1) “In the 1600’s when early settlers hunted, they would leave red herring along their trail because the strong fishy smell would confuse wolves which is the origin of the expression red herring meaning "a false trail." 2) “British fugitives in the 1800s would rub the pungent odor of a herring across their trail, thereby diverting the bloodhounds that were hot in pursuit.”

When writing a mystery, I try to keep a balance between the real evidence and clues and the false ones. Readers love a puzzle, but they don’t want to be tricked. This is why I try not to have more than three red herrings in each mystery story.

Use red herrings as a device in the middle section of your story to build tension. When you’ve built a strong protagonist, the reader will believe, as the protagonist does, that a true clue is at the root of the discovery path.

Also, a little advice to writers: make sure the red herrings you create integrate with the overall theme and mystery otherwise these clues may feel as if you have padded the story just to make word count.

Flashback to childhood: When I’d get discouraged because everyone around me was catching fish, my granddaddy would say: “Spit on the worm,” or he’d say, “You’re not holding your mouth right.”

Just like I expected to catch fish, readers expect red herrings in a mystery. Readers enjoy rooting for your sleuth and discovering how he or she meets each challenge to solve the crime and catch the criminal. Keep your readers guessing with well-placed false clues to enhance your storyline.
And that, folks, is when a fish is not a fish.

10 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post so much! You made me remember the old days, laugh out loud, and learn some things, too. I have also heard that saying--"You're not holding your mouth right"-- with regard to sewing. Apparently, judging from my sewing skills, my mouth has a mind of its own. I look forward to reading your cozy mysteries. I know they will be great fun. Loved the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had fun recalling the old memories, too. I'm sure your sewing skills are much better than you think. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Loretta, you are such a great writer. I thoroughly enjoyed your post, especially the details from your childhood. What a wonderful, simple but heartwarming. life you had with your large family sharing such a memorable experience. Tying it all in with your writing of mystery novels was the icing on the cake. Your cute photo portrays Miss Loretta the fisher girl perfectly. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were some fun times in my life. I'm happy you stopped by, Barb, and love your comment.

      Delete
  3. Awesome and entertaining, as usual! Loved learning about confusing the wolves. I'll have to remember to take a can of herring if I ever go hiking out west!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! You're too funny, Linda. I did enjoy researching the origin of red herrings. There's always something new to learn.

      Delete
  4. Linda Tillis. FYI should you go to locate some wolves to watch keep in mind that YOU ARE BEING WATCHED as well. Wolves that were brought to Yellowstone National Park have spread out and are in Wyoming, Montana & Idaho. Loads of places to hike too. Go to: visitMontana.com & change the state for good info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, David. I appreciate your support. Montana is a beautiful state, and you should know because of the many years you lived there.

      Delete
  5. Such a fun, charming story, Loretta! I enjoyed this tale of your childhood, written in an active, amusing style.

    ReplyDelete

Author Interview: D. Thomas Jerlo

  Please welcome to the Pen Dames blog author D. Thomas Jerlo, who also writes as DawnĂ© Dominique ! We’re excited by this opportunity to ...